Hi, I am Melissa from NorthlineExpress and today I am going to walk you through the process of repairing the crown of a chimney with Brushable Chimney Crown Repair. We have a chimney today that we are working on that has some cracks in the crown and could use some love.
Check below to watch the demonstration video!
What is Brushable Chimney Crown Repair?
ChimneyRx Brushable Crown Repair is a fast setting elastomeric coating that forms a flexible waterproof membrane to repair and protect chimney crowns against water intrusion. It is great for use in situations when you need to seal any small cracks in any masonry surface. ChimneyRx Brushable Crown Repair should be used wherever a long lasting exterior waterproof membrane is needed. This includes masonry chimney crowns, chimney corbels, and tops of masonry or parapet walls. Another use is for masonry window sills where bricks are laid in a soldier pattern at the base of the window.
ChimneyRx Brushable Crown Repair quickly starts working to prevent cracking and deterioration of the crown. ChimneyRx Brushable Crown Repair is a water based product that offers quick dry technology and a great coverage rate. It cures in just 2-4 hours, depending on the temperature and humidity, and covers approximately 40 square feet per gallon.
Benefits of Brushable Chimney Crown Repair
- Ready to Use – No Mixing
- Easy Brush Application
- Cures in 2 – 4 Hours
- Soap and Water Clean-Up
How to Apply the Brushable Chimney Crown Repair
The surface that you will be coating must be structurally sound, not loose. It must also be clean and dry. Place drop cloths at base of chimney to protect roof from accidental spills or drips from the brush.
Step 1 Preparation:
- Brush surface to be coated with a stiff poly brush to remove loose particles.
- Larger cracks and voids can be filled with fast setting patching cement or 100% silicone rubber caulking. Silicone caulk will cure underneath the Brushable Chimney Crown Repair.
- To keep a clean edge and protect the brick just below the crown, place duct tape completely over the face of the top row of brick. Tape can also be applied to the flue tile approximately 1” from base of tile.
Step 2 Application:
- Using a 3” or 4” synthetic bristle paint brush, brush a thin coat over entire crown
- Work material into the crown as if applying a thin coat of paint.
- Wait a few minutes after applying first coat for product to form a tacky film.
- Brush a second, heavier coat of the product over the first coat.
Step 3 Clean-Up and Let Dry
- Remove tape when application is completed.
- Clean off any of the Brushable Chimney Crown Repair from tools immediately after each use by scrubbing with soap and warm water.
- To clean up accidental spills from roof materials: remove the excess and clean remaining with a stiff nylon scrub brush and water. Rinse thoroughly
- Let the product dry. Dries to touch in 30 – 60 minutes. Product cures completely within 2 – 4 hours depending on temperature and humidity.